Sunday, March 11, 2012

Slipping...

Sometimes I feel like I am standing on the peak of a roof and all of the sudden I get pushed. I'm sliding down the roof, unable to see how far I am falling or where I am going to land, desperately trying to grasp onto anything that may slow me down or something I could hold onto...then I think "I must be getting near the end..." but I just keep sliding.

I am up to my ears in Middle Eastern Literature and Literary Theory this semester. A book a week, around 200 pages for each class with writing assignments and discussion boards. Talk about floundering...but I just printed out a zillion pages of reading, and I am going to begin to write my conference paper so maybe I am finding footholds on this never ending slip off of the peak I was on.

I have an ultrasound this Thursday at Johns Hopkins to check to make sure the cancer has not spread to my lymph nodes. If it has then they will biopsy them and they will be taken out during surgery. Sigh...I am terrified that this will be another slip, but I am hoping all of the prayers and good energy my amazing friends and family have sent my way will be a big foothold for me to stand on for awhile. If not then I will probably freak out, and then take it in stride as another thing I can use to make dent in the lack of awareness of Thyroid Cancer.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I followed your link from the ThyCa page on Facebook. My thyroid surgery was in Oct. 2010 to remove a nodule that was suspected of having cancer (per the inconclusive biopsy). It was confirmed during surgery and they took the whole thing. I was diagnosed with the same cancer as you. About a month later they tested me with a small tracer dose of radioactive iodine (RAI) and found that I had cancer in one of my lymphnodes.

    I wanted to stop by and tell you that having cancer isn't a death sentence (which I'm sure you already know), nor is having it in your lymphnodes. Thyroid cancer is by no means easy, but depending on the person/stage/etc...it is HIGHLY curable. I encourage you to keep that in mind...it made it a whole lot easier for ME when I thought of that. I'm still struggling to get my energy back and to get the right dose of thyroid hormones, but my life is good and well on the way back to normal. You are not alone, there are LOTS of us out there...most of whom are doing extremely well. I wish you much luck! Remaining positive will have a huge impact on your recovery...well, it did for me. WE are all so unique and individual. :-) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found so much support from other fighters and survivors of Thyroid cancer, and having cancer for me will be a life experience. I may have rough spots, but it will be something that I learn from and grown from. Thank you so much for your encouragement! :)

      Delete