Monday, April 16, 2012

I totally get the F*ck Cancer logo now...


I am home!! I was at Johns Hopkins an extra night because of some complications during surgery, but will recover just as well...it just might take a little longer. The mass had wrapped itself around a muscle in my neck and the muscle had to be removed, and my trachea was nicked in the process. If it weren't for all of the antibiotics (which I am thankful for) I would be feeling pretty good besides being swollen and having some stiff muscles from not being able to hold my head up. There was a bulky bandage around my neck with a drain in it after surgery which made it impossible to stretch my shoulders or lift my chin and now the front of my neck and chest is swollen which still makes it difficult. But today is better than yesterday (much) and tomorrow will be better than today!

I should have kept a journal while I was in there because I wanted to record the little details, but I couldn't concentrate on anything other than not straining my neck. 

I was terrified going into my surgery, I think I held it together well, but was pretty freaked. The nurses and doctors were amazingly kind and knew exactly what to say and do which comforted me quite a bit. I enjoyed to medication they gave me going into the operating room (everything was bouncing and wonderfully bright!) and the last thing I remember is talking about Ocean City, which is close to where I live.

I was sick coming out of anesthesia which is why I didn't get to eat or drink for 36 hours. I was in recovery from 11:30ish-8 when a room finally opened up. That night was awful. All I wanted to do was sleep but I had two IV's in me and two times someone came to draw my blood, once someone came in to attach me to antibiotics and give me a shot of blood thinners, and then every so often someone would come in to check my vitals. That was between 10 and 5 when the nurse came in to tell me doctors would be making their rounds soon so to come up with questions because "they come in, talk really fast, and then leave." I hadn't had any pain medicine since recovery so I asked if they thought if it would relieve some of my discomfort without making me sick (it would be dangerous to get sick because of the strain on my neck) they said yes so I said BRING IT ON!

It helped take the edge off and not make me super ridiculous (even though a picture of me holding up a fork and a juice box made it on facebook). I spent that day with family visiting me (I have an amazing family and family-in-law) and feeling pretty good. Thank goodness Ginger Ale is my favorite drink because I must have drank my weight in it. 

That night we watched the Orioles game on TV and The Help. My husband is so wonderful and supportive and everytime I had to get up he would have to get up to unhook my legs from the compressor things or get me water or call the nurse. He never complained or showed how exhausted he was. He is my hero.

I woke up at 5am feeling very nauseous. I was really anxious about them taking the drain out and finishing my stitches which I think was part of it, but I think the stress from the past two days caught up to me and made me extremely shaking and nauseous. The nurse gave me nausea medicine which made me feel like I was blowing up like a balloon and when I would close my eyes I felt like I was instantly somewhere else so I would wake up with jolt and feel even worse. Finally the doctors came in to remove the drain and tie up my stitches. YIKES!

Having someone literally stitch your skin together on your neck is a feeling I hope to never experience again. It helped a tiny bit that the doctor looked like someone out of Greys Anatomy, but I had my eyes closed for most of it so I picturing some foreign land with palm trees and blue water instead of gazing into his eyes that were focused on the wound on my neck....ugh.

After the doctors left my husband kindly fanned my face while I dabbed my face with a cool damp towel (I was a little bit worked up). I think at that moment all of the stress leading up to the surgery and all of it that had built up over the last two days finally broke loose and I was a wreck. Shaking and blubbering a little bit I realized my surgery was OVER. My drain was OUT. And now all I had to do was heal. After that this underlying fear began to set in... “where do I go from here?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment