Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What Cancer can do...

What Cancer cannot do..."cripple love, shatter hope, silence courage, corrode faith, eat away peace, kill friendship..." but it can't make you reaaaalllly awkward sometimes. Yikes! I had a majorly awkward "So I have Cancer" moment today at Barnes and Noble and I am still slapping myself and saying "what the hell was that?!"

"So how have you been?" Says the nice guy I went to school with that I haven't seen in probably 5 or more years.
"Uh (stammer stammer) I'm good...good yeah I'm good." My face proceeds to turn a fresh tomato red...
"So everything is good?" He looks at me like I'm an alien...
(Thinking to myself that he must have heard, like everyone else through social media that I have Thyroid Cancer, since he is looking at me so understandingly or maybe he is wondering why I am staring desperately at the door)
"Yeah I'm good...busy busy ya know..." Then I blurt out... "IhavebeengettingreadytogotoJohnsHopkinsbecauseIhavecancer."
"What?! Oh."
"Its treatable...I have to get my thyroid out and whatever other treatment they decide on." At this point I want to bolt. Desperately want to say adios and not ever see him again. 
"Well I will be thinking about you and I hope everything goes well with...that."
"Thanks, yeah I'll be fine...so everyone is getting married and all that huh?"

So tomorrow I leave for Baltimore for my surgery...(slap slap "what that hell was that"). 

No comments:

Post a Comment